Local Transport and Travel
- Traveline Cymru provides a journey planner for the local area.
- The Official UK Public Transport Website includes bus and train travel in the area.
- The Borderlands Line runs from Wrexham to Bidston.
- Arriva Trains Wales operate services to Ruabon, the nearest station on the national network.
- North Wales Railways – Charlie Hulme’s Website covering activities on the railways around North Wales
- The Shrewsbury to Aberwystwth Rail Passengers Association
- Public Service Links to Llangollen Railway – see “How to get there” page
- www.irishferries.com – the Low Fares ferry company
Other Transport and Travel
- Snowdon Mountain Railway
- The Great Orme Tramway – Llandudno
- Highland Air flights from Cardiff to Anglesey
- The Cambrian Line – which our line used to join at Barmouth
- The Heritage Railways Association site has details of all the UK’s heritage railways
- Trakkies is a website for kids who love trains
- The Palace on Wheels Unmatched hospitality services and world class facilities make it stand at the position of World’s 4th best luxury train.
More About Llangollen Railway
- The Diesel Group look after the main line diesel locomotive fleet.
- The Foxcote Manor Society restored and operate Foxcote Manor
- The 6880 Betton Grange Project is aiming to recreate a ‘lost’ GWR engine, the Grange.
- The GWR Loco Group are restoring GWR locos 2859 and 5532.
- The Llangollen Standard Four Project is restoring Standard 4 tank no. 80072.
- Carrog Station maintains two websites, http://carrogstation-moonfruit.com and http://corwenstation-new.co.uk/
- The Railcar Group have their own site.
- GreatWesternRailway.com is dedicated to the Great Western Railway.
- 163 Autocoach Trust
- The Great Western Archive is dedicated to the history of the Great Western Railway.
Sites which include photos & prints of the Railway
- Steampics by Tim Cowen
- Robert Brittle’s site
- Sharpo’s World
- Tony Jones’ pictures
- Alan Newble’s photosite
- Lee Davies’ Photosite
- Wynne B Jones
Tourism – Llangollen
- Llangollen Angling Association controls fishing in and around Llangollen.
- Llangollen Wharf operate narrow boats along the canal from Llangollen.
- Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod is an annual musical festival held in June.
- Llangollen.Org contains information about Llangollen, provided by the Llangollen Chamber of Trade & Tourism, including a more comprehensive list of attractions in and around the town.
- Llangollen.Com has information about Llangollen, and links to other surrounding places of interest.
- Eurapart’s Llangollen info
- Carrog Village Hall Website – for events etc
Llangollen Tourist InformationY Chapel , Castle Street, Llangollen, LL20 8BATelephone 01978 860 828
Opening times Monday – Wednesday 10.00 : 17.00 Closed Thursday & Sunday open Friday & Saturday 10.00:17.00
Tourism – the Local Area
- The Brenin Project produce a range of picture disc postcards includimg the local area
- Wales Directory has a wide variety of tourism info covering all of Wales.
- Wales On The Web (also available as Cymru Ar Y We) is a gateway to information about all of Wales.
- Vale of Glamorgan Railway
- LDS Tourism provide Tourist information for the Chester and North Wales area
- North Wales Tourism Home Page
- Wales Tourist Board
- Castles in Wales
- The National Trust
- Railways in Wales includes more information on railways in Wales and the areas they serve.
- The Vale of Clwyd homepage has information on the local area.
- Get Out Guide has information and event listings for the North-West of England.
- DeeValley.com is a news and information site for the Dee Valley, including Llangollen.
- Search InWales is an independent Welsh based search engine for Welsh based web sites; local links for local people.
- Wales Directory – a selection of sites about Wales.
- West Wales Web
- What’s on Wales
- Denbighshire County Council
- North Wales Index
- North Wales Online provides news, sport and information from the area.
- The Welshpool & Llanfair Railway
- Cambrian Railways Society, Oswestry
- The Shropshire Steamboat Company operating the “Lady Katherine” on idyllic cruises on Ellesmere Lake in the Shropshire Lake District.
- Dee Valley Walks Website, including walks from Llangollen Railway
- Carrog Y Bont newspaper – the Newspaper of Carrog Village
- Wales Holidays is a holiday lettings agency providing quality self-catering accommodation throughout Wales.
Other Websites related to Llangollen Railway
- Merseyside Railway Historical Society is another local group which organises speaker meetings.
- Still Steaming offers a comprehensive printed guide to all the top preserved railways in the UK
- Thomas the Tank Engine is Thomas’ official website
- Wolverton Rail stock a large range of videos, a number of which include the Railway
- Link Rail is a comprehensive directory of railway-related sites
- Buffer Books is a small on-line business selling secondhand and out-of-print railway-related books.
- Mold Camera Club has close links to Llangollen Railway and members who are volunteers at Llangollen railway
- Daniel Adamson – Website for the rebuilding of a Manchester Ship Canal Steam Ship (LR Engineering have been asked to quote for parts)
- Dragonfly Hire Co – Narrow Boat Hire on the Llangollen Canal
- Carno Station on the Cambrian Line – local people calling for the station to be reinstated
- Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway – home of some of the Eaton Hall rolling stock
- Austin Memories – The locomotive, Austin 1, is based at Llangollen
- Wirral & North Wales Model Railway Club – members of this club are also working members on Llangollen Railway
- Cheshire Railway Modellers – an on-line virtual Model Railway Club
- Menter Iaith Sir Ddinbych – promotes the use of the Welsh Language in Denbighshire, occasionally hiring trains for Welsh Beginners outings – translations can be done.
- Museum of Internal Fire – Gas and oil engines information and manuals
- http://www.aboutbritain.com/ – The premier online guide to Great Britain.
- The Youth Rail Enthusiast Association – Events, competitions, educations and support for young railway enthusiasts
- Railway Station Cottages provides a fully searchable information portal of self-catering holidays in railway cottages, carriages and stations across the UK.